8 Health Benefits of Quinoa and Nutrition Facts
Gluten free, high in protein and essential amino acids, there are endless healthy benefits about quinoa. This superfood is one of the most lauded health foods that also packs vitamins, minerals, fibers, antioxidants and more. Before you go and buy quinoa online, learn more about the health benefits, nutrition facts and how to use it in your diet.
What is Quinoa?
Originally from Peru, Bolivia and Chile, quinoa is a type of whole grain that comes from the plant. The whole quinoa plant can be eaten, including leaves ( like beetroots and spinach) but the seeds are one of the most popular due to its powerful content.
There are actually over 1,800 types of quinoa in multiple colors, but when you buy quinoa online or at a store, the common ones come in white, red and black. It is often used as a supergrain to substitute rice, because it also offers an almost similar texture that is soft and fluffy with a slightly nutty taste. It can be made into flour, flakes and other versions such as pasta and bread.
Why Eat Quinoa? Check The Nutrition Facts
- In one cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa, these are the nutrients you can expect to find.
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fibre: 5 grams
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA
- Phosphorus: 28% of the RDA
- Folate: 19% of the RDA
- Copper: 18% of the RDA
- Iron: 15% of the RDA
- Zinc: 13% of the RDA
- Potassium 9% of the RDA
- Over 10% of the RDA for vitamins B1, B2 and B6
- A 2009 article in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture stated that quinoa’s “unusual composition and exceptional balance” of protein, oil and fat, as well as its minerals, fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins, make it a highly nutritious food.
- The article also noted that phytohormones are found in quinoa, unlike many other plant foods. Phytohormones help regulate plant growth. Some types, called phytoestrogens, are being studied as a treatment for menopause symptoms because they sometimes behave like estrogens in the body.
- Last but not least, a 2017 study in the Journal of Nutraceuticals and Food Science determined that compared to other cereals, quinoa has more protein and a greater balance of essential amino acids. Nutritionally, it resembles milk protein more than cereals like wheat, corn and barley. It also surpasses cereals in amounts of dietary fiber, lipids, calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus and vitamins B1, B2, B6, C and E.
8 Health Benefits of Quinoa
2. Excellent Fiber – Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fiber is most widely known to relieve constipation. It also helps to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes. Fiber lowers cholesterol and glucose levels, may lower your risk of developing hemorrhoids, and may help you to lose weight.
3. Source of Iron – quinoa contains Iron. Iron helps keep our red blood cells healthy and is the basis of hemoglobin formation. Iron carries oxygen from one cell to another and supplies oxygen to our muscles to aid in their contraction. Iron also increases brain function because the brain takes in about 20% of our blood oxygen.
4. Essential for tissue growth and repair – quinoa contains lysine which is an amino acid or a building block of protein.
5. Rich in magnesium – magnesium helps to relax blood vessels and thereby to alleviate migraines. Magnesium also may reduce Type 2 diabetes by promoting healthy blood sugar control.
6. High in Riboflavin (B2) – this nutrient improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.
7. High content of manganese – An antioxidant, manganese which helps to prevent damage of mitochondria during energy production as well as to protect red blood cells and other cells from injury by free radicals.
8. Low Glycemic Index – A low GI level means longer-lasting energy over a sustained period as your energy levels won’t crash such as other high glycemic index food ( sugar). It is also ideal for daily consumption.
Where to Buy Quinoa Online?
The quick and simple answer is at Luxofood. To buy quinoa online that is guaranteed in quality and price, look no further than our complete shopping platform. Enjoy all the healthy benefits of quinoa and all superb conveniences when you buy quinoa online with us!