Talisker distillery was founded in 1830 by Hugh and Kenneth MacAskill, on the shores of Loch Harport, an area steeped in tradition and local custom, where Scotch Gaelic is still spoken. Talisker remained under the MacAskill’s stewardship until 1898, when the Dailuaine-Talisker Distillers Company acquired it under the charge of Thomas Mackenzie. They extended the distillery in 1900, before selling the company in 1916 to a consortium including Distillers Company Limited. Following a relatively stable and calm period for Talisker, a still-house fire tragically destroyed the distillery in 1960. Thankfully, the distillery was completely rebuilt meticulously according exact copies of the old stills, and five replicas of the original stills were constructed to maintain the preservation of the original Talisker flavour.