The first Lochnagar distillery was burnt down in suspicious circumstances in 1824 and a replacement again burnt down in 1841. In 1845 John Begg built the “new” Lochnagar.
The distillery was awarded its Royal Warrant in 1848 when John Begg invited Prince Albert to visit the distillery from the nearby Balmoral Castle, the Queen’s residence in the Highlands. The next day the distillery was visited by Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their three eldest children. The distillery then became known as Royal Lochnagar.
Today Royal Lochnagar is leased by Diageo from the Abergeldie Estate, and the distillery produces a relatively small amount of whisky, most of which is used in Johnnie Walker black and blue label.