Masson shifted part of his production to the Santa Cruz Mountains above Saratoga, California and built his “chateau” on a knob overlooking the Santa Clara Valley in 1905. Now known as “The Mountain Winery”, the Paul Masson Mountain Winery is on the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places, though it ceased making wines in 1952. Instead, it serves as a conferencing and events venue – various events are held at the winery, such as concert series, weddings, and other special events. A famous chess tournament was held there annually for a number of years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Around 2000, the then-current owners of the site hired winemaker Jeffrey Patterson to restart winemaking on site. The vineyards were reestablished at the Mountain Winery in 2004.