The founder of Jameson Irish Whiskey, Scotsman John Jameson, began to manage the distillery that belonged to his wife’s family in Dublin’s Bow Street in 1786. In 1805, he bought it outright, and five years later, he and his son of the same name officially founded the John Jameson and Son Irish Whiskey company.
At the time, Jameson was the world’s number one whiskey, and the distillery was producing one million gallons every year. To cope with that scale of production, the distillery expanded significantly under Jameson’s ownership. By the late 19th century, it had spread over five acres, with underground storage facilities to allow the sought-after beverage to mature properly. The distillery was nicknamed as a ‘city within a city’.