Sold by Red&White
Cape Mentelle, Australia
Cape Mentelle Semillion Sauvignon Blanc. “The embodiment of our place and terroir.”
Cape Mentelle takes a non-interventionist approach towards this classic Margaret River blend of sauvignon blanc and semillon, preserving much fruit intensity and regional character. The style accentuates the fresh, vibrant fruit characters of both varieties with the added complexity and palate weight offered through a small component of barrel fermentation.
– Appearance: A brilliant light hay with green edges.
– Nose: Fresh green lime, lemon sorbet, crisp cucumber aromas with hints of fresh cut lemongrass, pink peppercorn and wisteria blossom. A subtle saline character reminiscent of celery salt and sea spray entwines with pink grapefruit and tarragon notes.
– Palate: The palate characteristics burst forth with lemon juice and lime zest creating a compelling liveliness. In the mouth, the wine is medium in length displaying yellow peach, watermelon skin and nectarine, with a creaminess that balances the mineral focused backbone, giving a lively lemon sorbet richness. Hints of Muscat flower and cypress pine sap invoke the nearby coastal origin of this wine.
– Blend: Sauvignon Blanc 58%, Semillon 42%.
– Cellaring: Ready for enjoyment in its youth, this wine can also be enjoyed for up to 5 years after the vintage.
– Food Pairing: The winemakers recommend that the freshness of the wine is accentuated by freshly shucked oysters with pickled lime zest, spicy laksa soup with smoked tofu and lemongrass or barbecue seared octopus with lime chili drizzle and Asian coleslaw.