Sold by Red&White
Cape Mentelle, Australia
Cape Mentelle Cabernet Merlot. “Cabernet Merlot is a wine for unwinding. Generous and unpretentious with enough complexity and character to keep you interested.”
The Trinders Vineyard was established in 1988 and named after a local school, the first in the Margaret River region. Cape Mentelle has developed an international reputation for these varieties that are perfectly suited to the climate and soils of Margaret River.
This blend seeks to capture the depth and structure of cabernet sauvignon with the dark fruit and plush flavours of merlot; small amounts of shiraz and cabernet franc complement the blend for a well-rounded, rich style with exquisite balance.
– Appearance: Deep garnet with dark cherry edges.
– Nose: The aromatics are dark and brooding; intense blackberry fruit, black currant and rose petal are met with forest bramble, tobacco and hints of smoked charcuterie. Finer nuances of raspeberry cane, wild plum and dark chocolate meld with dried herbal notes and hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.
– Palate: The palate bursts with fresh forest berry fruits of blueberry, blackberry and cassis giving a full and fleshy mouthfeel. This well balanced and seamless wine displays wonderful savoury notes of cedar and cinnamon fanning out to a supple and silky texture.
– Blend: Cabernet Sauvignon 58%, Merlot 36%, Cabernet Franc 6%.
– Cellaring: Ready for enjoyment in its youth, this wine can also be cellared for 15 years and beyond.
– Food Pairing: We suggest highlighting the savoury complexity of this wine by matching it with lamb shank slow cooked with morel mushrooms, a kangaroo fillet with grilled corn and potato au gratin, or a simple roasted vegetable tomato pasta sauce with freshly rolled gnocchi garnished with parsley and Calabrian chilli.