The Cuervo name traces its history all the way back to 1758 with Jose Antonio Cuervo. The name quickly grew for the next 100 years to include somewhere between 2.5 million and 5 million agave plants on over 10,000 hectares by the turn of 20th century. Unfortunately, in the 1930s, the estate was broken up into smaller farmsteads.
Grupo Cuervo was formed in 1979 after several different owners and managers of the Cuervo brand and assets. Since that time they have been neck-and-neck with Sauza in tequila production and working with international distributors. In 1998, they expanded their brand into premium tequilas, including some Coleccion Anejo tequilas that fetched $1,000 per bottle.
1800 tequilas are made by Casa Cuervo from 100% blue agave. The name comes from the “historic event” of aging tequila in oak for the very first time. The line was first launched in 1975 as a premium sipping tequila.