Cooking chicken is a popular option for many occasions. Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world, and it’s hard not to love chicken with its variety of parts, delicious meat and versatility in cooking. We can sing endless praise about how we love chicken, and we’re sure you do too. So without further ado, let’s get into all the basic facts about chicken meat below.
Chicken Meat: As Healthy As It Gets
Chicken is not just popular, but it is also the staple diet of many people. Over 80 pounds of this meat is consumed by an average American every year. And it’s highly nutritious too!
Our body can derive about 30 different nutritional value just from 100 grams of chicken, just be warned that when you fry it, the normal chicken calories which is about 330 cal may double to up to 900 cal per serving. But generally, chicken is highly nutritious if you know just the right way to cook it, for example: chicken soup which helps with flu and cold.
Types of Chicken Meat
In Indonesia, there are several types of chicken meat that you can commonly find in supermarket or traditional ones:
- Mixed (Ayam Negeri/Ayam Ras)
Using selected quality breed, this type of chicken takes short time to raise ( about a month or so) and may weigh up to 1 kg. There are two purposes for this type, broiler or meat and layer or laying eggs.
- Local Chicken (Ayam Kampung/Ayam Buras)
There are two types of local chicken : broilers which are farm-raised for about 3-5 months and weigh about 500-600 gram. The other is the wild/free type which may weigh up to 700 gram about 6 months old.
- Layer (Ayam Pejantan/Petelur)
Layer is the term for chicken that lays eggs rather than harvested as meat. But they are also generally being used in cooking when egg productivity has decreased.
- Pure Organic
Organically breed with no chemical, including its feed and processing method, organic chicken meat may come with its own certification. With a range of healthy benefits, this type of chicken is naturally more expensive and is normally only available in certain markets.
- Probiotic & Prebiotic
This types of chicken meat are believed to have a range of healthy benefits such as lowering cholesterol. Using a special probiotic or prebiotic feed, chickens are raised with better digestive system allowing the meat to have better health purposes.
Choosing & Cooking Chicken
Need tips to buy the best chicken meat? Heed our tips below :
- Make sure you have the right kind of chicken for the dish you’re trying to create. Consult the seller if you are looking for a specific type. At LuxoFood we welcome all kind of questions for the best dish you plan to cook.
- When shopping for a whole chicken, look for a well-shaped bird with a plump, rounded breast, and more breast than leg.
- Younger chicken will have tender meat.
- Chicken parts should be moist and plump. Both whole chickens and chicken parts should have a clean smell.
- The color of the skin depends on the breed and what the chicken was fed, so we can’t exactly tell the quality based on the color appearance. But no matter what the color of the skin is, make sure it does not appear transparent or mottled.
- Frozen chicken should be rock-hard and show no signs of freezer burn or ice crystals inside the package.
So there you have it! All the things you need to know about cooking chicken meat and all the information that you didn’t know will make you love chicken even more. For more love-worthy food ingredients, including meat, bread, pastry, drink and more, head to LuxoFood for our superb quality products.